Excerpted from The Chronicle Vol. 6 no. 2, April 1953
by Frank Cetin
Back in 1856 a mall by the name of Adam Finger built a high chair in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which is far more modern than any high chair being manufactured today. It stands approximately four feet high , was hand made, and through a simple and yet ingenious sprocket arrangement, can be collapsed into four different positions. Simply by pulling a knob on the back of the chair and positioning a rod in a different hole in the sprocket, this high chair can be lowered into a play chair, a stroller or a rocker.
According to Mr. Theodore Mueller, curator of the Milwaukee County Historical Society Museum where the chair is now on display, Adam Finger built this chair when his first child was born. At that time it became so popular, that Mr. Finger began making other chairs for his friends. As a result he started a good paying business. This particular chair, believed to be the only one still in existence, was used in the Finger family for four generations, until it was donated to the museum by Mrs. Russell Wilcox, a descendant of the Finger family.