SIA Annual Conference
SOCIETY FOR INDUSTRIAL ARCHEOLOGY
Call for Paper Abstracts and Session Proposals
45th Annual Conference
Kansas City, Missouri, June 2-5, 2016
The Society for Industrial Archeology invites proposals for presentations and poster displays at the 45th Annual Conference on Saturday, June 4, 2016, in Kansas City, Missouri. This year’s conference will also incorporate the 25th Historic Bridge Symposium. The conference hotel will be the Westin Crown Center and presentation sessions will be held at the hotel.
Presentations on all topics related to industrial archeology, technology, social change related to industry, and historic industrial structures and bridges are welcome. Papers about regional industries and transportation in the Missouri River valley and the Prairies are particularly encouraged. Poster displays can be on works in progress. All presentations and poster displays should offer interpretation and synthesis of data.
Presentation Formats: Proposals may be for individual presentations 20 minutes in length, a group of three or four presentations on a common theme filling a 90-minute session, or a 90-minute panel discussion (formal moderator optional, but encouraged). SIA will provide computers, data projectors, screens, microphones, and speakers as needed in each presentation room. Posters will be on display all day Saturday with a dedicated time for poster presenters to be present at their poster for discussion.
Proposal Formats: Proposals should be submitted online at http://www.sia-web.org/sia-45th-annual-conference/ unless special arrangements have been made. Each proposal must include:
- The presentation title (you will indicate which type – single paper, session proposal, or poster – on the submission form)
- A 300-500 word abstract for the paper with detailed context/background, findings, and conclusions
- Contact information including name, affiliation, email address, mailing address, and telephone number for each presenter
- A brief biographical statement of 75-150 words for each presenter
- The software (incl. version) used to create your presentation and any additional audio-visual requests beyond the standard equipment listed above.
Please be aware that facilities for presenting media formats other than Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt/.pptx), OpenOffice Open Document Format Presentation (.odp), and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) may not be available. In particular, please note on the form whether access to the Internet is crucial for your presentation (e.g., media embedded vs. linked to the Web).
For 90-minute themed sessions or panel discussions, the organizer should submit a title and a brief description of the theme, along with all above information together as a group as prompted on the online submission form. If any of these items is missing, the proposal cannot be considered. Note that the above word counts apply separately to each presenter in a group.
Presenters are encouraged to transform their presentations into articles for IA: The Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology; No conference proceedings are published. We are considering audio podcasting the sessions, but and if we do stream the sessions, prior written consent must be obtained from each presenter.
The deadline for proposals is February 15, 2016
To submit your proposal and for further information, go to the online form located at
For questions please contact
- Erin C. Timms, SIA Presentations Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org, for questions about the 45th SIA Annual Conference, or
- Kitty Henderson, Executive Director of the Historic Bridge Foundation, email@example.com, for questions regarding the 25th Historic Bridge Symposium
Please spread the word to others who may be interested in this conference. The above content can be found and shared via the PDF document here: 2016 SIA CFP