Here we are….. a group photo of those who came to the very first EAIA’s Fiber Interest Group meeting. We had 28 people who attended and brought items to share with the group. Below are photos of items that were brought to the meeting for show and tell. Members brought hand made items and textile tools. It was a great response to this newly formed group. If you would like to have more information about this group, join our EAIA Fiber Interest Group Facebook page, or read about what this group is doing in The Shavings. If you spin, weave, knit, quilt, sew, dye, collect textile tool, rug hook or any other fiber related interest…….we invite you to join this group. Our mission is to create an atmosphere in which the fiber and textile related industries will be promoted and shared. Our goals are to research, teach, demonstrate and have fun!
As I walked around I found the Shaker village a lovely place. The grounds, old buildings, the furnishings were so interesting to look at. Lots of the artifacts have been moved to the main Center Building where it is easier to get to see things. There are a couple of rooms that has fiber related items in it. Here are a few photos of what I found.
In my last blog post I talked about two Stanley block planes with rosewood buttons on their knuckle joint lever caps. In this post I’m going to discuss two more block planes from the Stanley Model Shop that are variations on that theme. And these two planes appear to have been made at least a decade earlier than the two I featured in my last post.
The first one (See Figure 1) has all the characteristics of a Stanley #9½ block plane, Type 5, which would put its dates of manufacture between 1875 and 1879. It’s 6 ¼ inches long, 1-7/8ths inches wide and has a 1-5/8ths inch wide cutter. “L. Bailey’s Patent Aug.6.67 Aug 31,58 EX’d.” is stamped on the cutter in an oval shape and helps to date the plane to somewhere between 1875 and 1879 (See Figure 2).
The unique and interesting feature of this plane is its lever cap. The lever cap is cast iron and similar in shape to those seen on Stanley bench planes. The front of the lever cap is japanned and has a recessed arched area on the front with the typical key hole. The edges of the casting are polished on the front while the back and sides of the lever cap are also japanned (See Figure 3).
A 1-3/8ths inch by 5/8ths inch piece of tempered spring steel acting as a flat spring is pinned to the back of the lever cap with a single rivet (See Figure 4). An eccentric cast iron lever that bears against the flat spring is pinned into a slot in the upper end of the lever cap.
The 1-7/8ths inch rosewood button on the lever cap is screwed onto a coarsely threaded post on the eccentric lever. Pushing down on the rosewood button pushes the eccentric lever against the flat steel spring and locks the cutter tightly in place. The plane is in unused condition with Model Shop #53 painted on the toe of the plane and on the rosewood button (See Figure 5).
Fine machining marks are still visible on the sides and sole of the plane and there are no blemishes in the japanning. The rosewood button on this attractive block plane provides a very comfortable resting spot for the heel of your hand when you’re holding the plane in the working position. Despite its attractive appearance, producing the lever caps on this block plane would have been expensive and the Stanley Production Committee decided to put this plane back on the shelf in the Model Shop.
The second plane, #58 from the Model Shop, is a steel bodied block plane. It has a lever cap very similar to the one seen on plane #53. The lever cap on plane #58 is polished cast iron with a ¾ inch by 1-3/8ths inch piece of spring steel with an arched top riveted to the back of the lever cap with two small rivets(See Figure 13). The rosewood button on this plane is attached to the small eccentric cast iron lever by three wood screws (See Figure 14). The 1- 5/8ths inch wide cutter has the trademark which dates the plane to about 1876 T.he body of this plane is made from folded steel (See Figure 7).
Justus Traut and Henry Richards had applied for a patent on June 15th, 1875 describing the production of planes with a “wrought metal stock” and were granted patent No. 168,431, on October 5th, of that same year (See Figure 8). This plane is made using that method. It has a folded steel body that is 6-7/16ths inches long and 1-13/16ths inches wide. The two side walls are held together by a threaded rod. The cutter adjusting mechanism is welded to the back portion of the plane.
The adjustment mechanism is a modification of the mechanism shown in patent #176,152 which was also granted to Traut and Richards on April 18, 1876 (See Figure 9 and footnote 3) .
This adjustment mechanism was used by Stanley on a number of their planes for many years. While this plane never made it into production, Traut and Richard’s folded steel plane body and cutter adjustment mechanism were put to use in the #104 Liberty Bell smooth plane and the #105 Liberty Bell jack plane which were introduced by Stanley at the 1876 Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition and remained in production until 1918. It may be that this block plane was meant to be a companion to the #104 and #105 Liberty Bell Planes (See Figure 10).
Even though the Model Shop numbers on the body of the plane and on the rosewood button on the lever cap appear to match, the lever cap doesn’t stay in place very well when slid under the rod which holds the two side walls together and compresses the flat spring on the back of the lever cap. The lever cap has a keyhole, which suggests that there was thought given to using a lever cap screw to hold the lever cap in place, but it obviously didn’t get done. The #58 is very clear on the body of this plane, but portions of the “8” are missing on the lever cap.
It’s hard to say with absolute certainty that this plane body and the lever cap belong together, but the light wear marks on the cutter correspond to those on the lever cap, and the style of the “8” on the body of the plane matches the partial “8” on the rosewood button on the lever cap suggesting that the two parts have been together since they were made. The cutter is stamped April 18, 1876, the date of Traut and Richard’s Patent No. 176,152, which dates this plane to 1875-1876.
A second piece of steel with a coarsely threaded upright rod is welded to the front portion of the plane to hold the front knob and also provides a rib on the front edge of the mouth of the plane (See Figure 14). The lever cap will stay in place when the spring is compressed, but would tend to slide back out when any pressure was applied to the cutter. So this block plane was also relegated to a shelf back in the Model Shop. But, it may have been pulled back off the shelf and possibly served as the inspiration for the Stanley #118 steel frame block plane. Introduced in 1933, fifty-seven years after the #58 Model Shop Steel Block Plane was made. Stanley advertised that the #118 block plane was unbreakable and encouraged it’s use in school shops. The similarities between the body of these two planes is striking (See Figure 15).
The rosewood button lever caps on these two planes with their eccentric clamping lever were produced several years earlier than the two shown in my last post. In some ways they could be viewed as the precursors to the “knuckle joint lever cap” which was based on S.D. Sargent’s patent No. 355,031. The knuckle joint lever cap was first introduced by Stanley on the #18 block plane in 1888 more than 10 years after these two block planes were made. No doubt, Justus Traut and Henry Richards were intimately involved with the production of these two Model Shop block planes. For me, a big part of the allure of Model Shop planes is that they can give us a bit of a peek at some of the thought processes of the early inventors at Stanley.
 Wells, John, & Schoellhamer, Jack, “One Hundred Years of Bailey’s Excelsior Block Plane, The No 9 ½ Family” can be found in Antique & Collectible Stanley Tools, by John Walter, Second Edition, 1996, pp. 686-701.
 Dood, Kendall J., “Pursuing the Essence of Inventions: Reissuing Patents in the 19th Century”, Society for the History of Technology, Technology and Culture, Vol. 32, No.4, Special Issue: Patents and Inventions, October 1991, pp.999-1017. “An Act Concerning Patents for Useful Inventions” was passed by Congress in July of 1832 stating “Whenever any patent…shall be invalid or inoperative, by reason that any of the terms or conditions prescribed in [the patent statutes] have not, by inadvertence, accident, or mistake, and without any fraudulent or deceptive intention, been complied with on the part of the [inventor], it shall be lawful for the Secretary of State, upon surrender to him of such patent, to cause a new patent to be granted to the said inventor for the same invention for the residue of the period then unexpired for which the original patent was granted.” The reissue 8 years into Patent #67398 gave Bailey and Stanley patent protection for this portion of Bailey’s patent for remaining 6 years of the patent.
 The adjustment mechanism on this plane was used on the #103 block plane, the #104 “Liberty Bell” smooth plane, the #105 “Liberty Bell” jack plane, the #120 block planes and the Type 1 #140 Rabbet and Block Plane. With slight variation, this adjusting mechanism was also used on the #122, #127, #129, 3132, and #135 wood bottom series of “Liberty Bell Planes”. Images below show the Patent Drawings for Traut and Richard’s Patent No. 176,152 date April 18, 1876.
The EAIA 2016 Annual Meeting is going strong this week at Pleasant Hill Shaker Village in Harrodsburg Kentucky. The village has sold out along with some additional folks staying at local hotels. After 5pm when the museum closes to the public we call it EAIA village as we see members strolling around the village, making new friends and catching up with old friends.
We’ve been having a blast exploring the exceptional craftsmanship in the buildings and many artifacts on site.
We also had a broom making workshop, stone wall building, shaker spirit drawing, her bag making and many other opportunities to try our hands at a new craft.
In addition to the events on site, I wanted to note there are more opportunities to explore crafts and meet craftsmen and women in the area. My friend Chris Schwarz, who you may remember from the 2013 annual meeting when he gave a talk on tool chests is opening up his storefront/shop this Sunday May 22nd from 10am-4pm.
Chris’ shop is located at 837 Willard St., Covington, KY 41017 which is about 110 miles north of the Shaker Village in Covington Kentucky which is in the greater Cincinnati area and on the way home for many EAIA folks. Chris is working on a Danish Modern chest of drawers in some incredible curly oak and will have that on the bench – not to mention his Lost Art Press books, T-shirts, posters, stickers and tins of Katy’s soft wax (The Anarchist’s Daughter).
If you are looking for a reason to tempt your spouse to make the trip, dangle Otto’s brunch before them. The Benedict Otto’s with a side of goetta is something I dream about. Get there early – it fills up. If you get closed out there, try the brunch across the street at Main Bite. Or at Keystone a few blocks away.
Chris is a skilled woodworker, author and blogger and all around nice guy and well worth the visit. I’ll be there along with a few friends. You can learn more about Chris, his work and the shop here on his blog.
Beyond the workshops it has been a lot of fun to wander around the village and farm.
The photos in this post are just a few from my phone, when I get home I’ll post some better pics from my camera.
If you have more photos you’d like to share and show on the site, please email me (Bill Rainford), John Verrill, Pat Lasswell or Paul VanPernis and we’ll get them up on the website.
The Ice Cream Social and Whatsis session last night was popular as always.
Today folks are preparing for the tool auction. Tomorrow we’ll have more talks, tool trading, displays, the silent auction and the dinner banquet. It’s going to be a busy weekend.
The 48th Brown Tool Auction was held at the Abraham Lincoln Hotel in Reading, Pennsylvania on April 2, 2016. Prices realized in this article include a 13% buyer’s premium. A 3% discount was available for cash or a good check. The condition of the items was taken from the auction catalog and does not reflect the author’s opinion. Numbers shown in parentheses [ ] indicate the bid estimates printed in the catalog. All photographs are courtesy of Brown Auction Services. Photography by Cami Foley.
Selected Auction Items:
The Beech Ultimatum Brace in lot 121 was much rarer and more valuable than a comparable ebony brace even though ebony is a more valuable wood species; at least twenty ebony braces were made for every beech brace. This brace is also a little longer than the b race in lot 117. It was rated Good + [$275-$550]. It opened at $75 and sold for $186.45 in the room.
The Stanley Veneer Scraper, Stanley No. 212, in lot 173, having the script trademark(1910-19140, with light surface rust, not pitting, and 90% of the japanning was rated Good+ for condition [$400-$800]. It opened $565 and sold for $638.45 to an absentee bidder ($565 opening bid plus 13% buyer’s premium).
Lot 193, the boxwood four-fold Wantage Rod, by J. Buck, ca. 1850, was marked in firkins (one-quarter of a barrel of beer) and kilderkins (one half of a barrel of beer). It was boxwood, had brass tips and was rated Good+ [$250-$500]. It opened at $160 and sold to an absentee bidder for $180.80 ($160 opening bid plus 13% buyer’s premium).
The Stanley six-foot No.7366 advertising tape measure, lot 195, called “Bundles for Britain” (A U.S. based organization providing non-military aid to British World War II citizens), was in an immaculate brass case and had only a couple of small nicks in the tape. It was rated Good+ [$125-$250]. It opened at $120 and sold for $180.80 in the room.
The superb ebony try square with German silver trim and escutcheon and a level vial in the stock, in lot 206, (labeled lot 675 in the auction centerfold) was 9½ inches high, had an unruled blade and was rated Good+ [$400-$800]. It is a beautiful tool. It opened at $610 and sold for $689.30 to an absentee bidder ($610 opening bid plus 13% buyer’s premium).
The Millers Falls No. 4, four-inch triangular level in lot 248 is among the rarest collectible levels. It has the original vial, nearly 100% of the original japanning and was rated G00d+ for condition [$300-$600]. It opened at $350 and sold for $536.75 in the room.
The Type 1 Miller’s Patent Plow Plane in lot 430, Stanley #43, (See Walter Jacob, Stanley No. 41, 42, 43, 44 Miller’s Patent Plow Planes type Study in John Walter’s Antique and Collectible Stanley Tools, pp. 717-725; Roger K. Smith, Patented Transitional and Metallic Planes in America II, pp. 202-206) had the important curled up hook at the top of the body casting where it enters the rosewood handle. It came with a complete set of the original cutters in a reproduction wooden box and had almost 100% of the original japanning. It was rated Fine, noting only one very fine crack near the lower pin on the plane’s tote [$5,000-$8,000]. It opened at $3,100 and sold on a bid of $3,955 in the room.
The Stanley No 42, Type 4 in Lot 431 (see references for lot 430) Miller’s Patent bronze plow plane has a wrap around fence, a filletster bed and a japanned cast iron straight fence, the later lacking the two fence clamping screws. It included a complete set of eight original plow cutters and a tonguing cutter in a wooden box. The tote has a couple of cracks and a small chip and is fastened with three pins, two of which may be later additions. It was rated Good+ [$1500-$2500]. It opened at $175 and was an excellent value selling for $847.50 in the room.
The rarely seen 9 inch version of the Challenge bench plane in lot 432, patented by Arthur Goldsborough and manufactured by Tower & Lyon (patent No. 284,732, September 11,1883; see Roger K. Smith’s Patented Transitional and Metallic Planes in America, Volume II, p. 168, fig. 255) was rated Good for condition and had a small bit of light pitting on the metal and the typical light wear and touch up of the original finish on the handle and the front knob. [$1500-$2500]. It opened at $550 and sold on a bid in the room for $1582.
The very rare James Silcock, 1¾ inch bronze bodied filletster plane in lot 433 lacked the usually attached metallic plane identifying it as a British patented plane (There were a number of concurrent French patents). It came with a set of nine original marked cutters in a reproduction wooden box and was a beautiful plane in fine condition [$2500-$5000]. it opened at $800 and sold to an absentee bidder for $904 9$800 opening bid plus 13% buyer’s premium). It was an exceptional value.
The Walker Plow plane (Patent No. 318,331, May 19, 1885) Type 3, in lot 434 came complete with eight sliding plates that make up the body and adjustable sole of the plane and is the only known example to come in the original wooden box (see Roger K. Smith’s Patented Transitional and Metallic Planes in America, Volume II, pp. 54-56). It included 14 of the original cutters and was from the collection of Aron Hower, the great-grandson of the inventor. It was rated G00d+ for condition [$3000-$6000]. It opened at $1700 and sold on a bid in the room for $5,424.
The very rare (three currently known) Henry B. Price plane, lot 435, having a frog that can be set at four different pitches, i.e. 45 degrees or common pitch for soft wood, and 50, 55, and 60 degrees also known as York, Middle and half pitch for hard woods. Henry B. Price’s patent No. 216,698 was granted June 17, 1879. The example offered in this auction has a laminated front grip as shown on the patent drawing rather than a front knob. There is a small chip missing from the rear end of the left sideboard but otherwise it was rated Good+ [$3000-$6000]. It opened on an absentee bid of $1,200 and sold to that same absentee bidder for $1356 ( opening bid of $1200 plus the 13% buyer’s premium). Another example of this plane having a front knob rather than the laminated grip and rated Good+ sold in the 28th Brown Auction on April 8, 2006, for $7,700 including the premium. Not to embroider rarity with abundance, but, I received my copy of The Tool Shed, the March 2016 issue of the journal of Crafts of New Jersey on Monday March 14th. To my surprise there was an article on the H.B. Price adjustable pitch plane on pages 6 and 7. It had been purchased from Craig’s list by a young man who wanted to acquire a set of low-cost tools for a course he was taking at the North Bennett Street School in Boston. He saw a picture of the Price plane on the cover of The Fine Tool Journal and was lucky enough to find Andy D’Elia who appreciated the rarity and value of the plane and purchased it at a fair market price for his Antique Tool Museum in Scotland, Connecticut. Now the young man can afford a good set of tools for his planned trade.
The Miller’s Patent 1872 combination plow plane, lot 436, (No. 50 in the Russell & Erwin Catalog) patent No. 131,376, granted September 17, 1872(see Patented Transitional and Metallic Planes in America Vol. II, pp. 202-203) was the brightest star of this show and was shown on the front cover of the auction catalog. This little gem had 50% of the copper wash on its original cast iron finish. The photograph fell a little short of bringing out the beauty of the sculptural modeling of the planes fence as seen in PTAMPIA II, p. 203. It had one of the original cutters and was rated Fine [$8000-15,000]. It opened at $4,100 and was hammered down in the room for $7,232. It was an exceptional value.
The 22 inch long rosewood jointer lot 494, was made by Henry G. Stilley who started working in San Francisco as a shipwright in 1864 and moved across the Bay to Oakland in 1877 where they were still making and repairing wooden boats for fishing and shipping. He worked there until 1900. This example had a 1¾ inch Buck Brothers cutter and a strike button in a hexagonal plate in front of the mouth. It was marked “H.G. Stilley Maker”, which was a new mark. See T.L. Elliott, American Wooden Planes, 4th edition. It had a couple of minor chips at the heel and was rated Fine [$200-$400]. It opened at $450 and closed at $508.50 from an absentee bidder (opening bid of $450 plus 13% premium).
Robert “Bob” Baker, the world’s finest plane smith passed away in 2010, far too young for such a talented man. One of his admirers, Kari Hultman, has a fun web post on Bob. Two of his most important pieces were offered as full size reproductions in this auction: lot 526 his reproduction of Falconer’s Coach Maker’s plow plane and lot 533 his reproduction of the H. Chapin no. 239¼ Bridle plow plane. Lot 526, the Thomas Falconer Coach Maker’s plow plane, Society of Arts, 1846, was made of solid ebony with a red mahogany wedge and a spring steel fence.(See John Moody, The American Cabinet Maker’s Plow Plane, p. 97, fig. 121, Proudfoot & walker, Woodworking Tools, p. 32, fig. 24, and Holtzappel, Turning and Mechanical Manipulation, Vol. 2, p. 979, note “AJ”). It was in a custom-made display case from the John “Jock” Moody collection and was rated Mint for condition. [$1000-$2000]. It opened at $1650 and was an excellent value selling at $2712 to an absentee bidder.
Lot 533, The H. Chapin No. 239¼ Bridle plow plane, based on the Chapin-Rust March 18, 1868 patent No. 76,051 was made of apple wood with lignum vitae arms and a cast iron and brass adjustment (Kenneth D. Roberts, Wooden Planes in 19th Century America, Vol. II, p.231 and color page 252M, Roger K. Smith, Patented Transitional and Metallic Planes in America, Vol. II, p. 65 plate 13). It was a beautiful plane in Mint condition [$1500-$2000] It opened at $1,650 and was a very good value selling at $2034 in the room.
The L.L. Davis No. 45 cast iron 15 inch jack plane in lot 590 has a moveable frog to adjust the throat size, patent NO. 167,311, dated August 31, 1875. (see Patented Transitional and Metallic Planes in America, Vol. II, page 135). You will need a magnifying glass to see the scallops in the plane’s cross rib above the screws for the frog. The plane has a little shallow pitting on its sole, a small chip in the tote, lacks one small screw, and was rated Good+ [$1000-$2000]. It opened at $350 and sold for $452 to an absentee bidder.
by John G. Wells
Bristol County Documents
This fourth installment of documents and deeds relating to Early American woodworking trades and craftsmen covers Part One of Bristol County, Massachusetts. Middlesex and Essex counties of Massachusetts were covered previously. It is interesting to note that most of these Bristol County documents are court records. The previous documents were primarily deeds, none-the-less, much of the same information ends up being recorded…a name, a profession, a place and a time.
1. The original spelling is retained if possible.
2. If the spelling or interpretation of a name is questioned, that entry is set apart using ( ).
1725 Edmund Ingals, carpenter, Rehoboth. Court document related to a debt. Also mentioned; John West, Azzikam Birce and Henry Mackintosh. Signed by Timothy Fales, clerk.
1730 Timothy Barden, joyner, Rehoboth. Document acknowledging a debt. Also mentioned: Christopher Phillips. Signed by Timothy Barden, Tho’s Peckham Jr. and Sam’l Brown Jr.
1731 Israel Peck, Inholder and Joyner, Rehoboth. Court document in which Peck owes Hugh Beatty 20 pounds. Also mentioned: Seth Williams. Signed by Timothy Fales, clerk.
1733 Eleazar Luther, house carpenter, Swansey. Court document regarding a debt recovery. Also mentioned: Thomas Reed. Signed by Eleazer Luther, Charles Church and Timothy Fales, clerk.
1741 Israel Peck, joyner, Rehoboth. Another court document regarding a debt owed by Peck. Also mentioned: John Whitman and Seth Williams. Signed by Timothy Fales, clerk.
1742 Thomas Sayer, house right, Rehoboth. Document of indebtedness to Elzekiel Carpenter. Signed by Thomas Sayer, Samuel Smith and John Smith.
Additional Thomas Sayer genealogical information:
Worked: 1737 – 1742, as a housewright
Place of work:Tiverton and Rehoboth, Rhode Island.
reference: Rhode Island Furniture Archive at the Yale University Art Gallery
Born: about 1685 in Hingham, MA
Married: Jerusha Eames on 11 September, 1711 in Marshfield, MA
Died: 6 May 1765 in Rehoboth, Bristol, Massachusetts at age 80
Hingham birth record image
reference: Massachusetts, Town and Vital Records, 1620-1988, courtesy of Ancestry.com.
1744 John Winslow, joyner, Freetown. Document recording a court judgement against John Winslow. Also mentioned: William Ellery, Job Almy and Seth Williams. Signed by Timothy Fales, clerk.
|1725||Edmund Ingals, not signed||carpenter||Rehoboth||Bristol||MA|
|1730||Timothy Barden, signed||joyner||Rehoboth||Bristol||MA|
|1731, 1741||Israel Peck, not signed||joyner||Rehoboth||Bristol||MA|
|1733||Eleazar Luther, signed||house carpenter||Swansey||Bristol||MA|
|1742||Thomas Sayer, signed||house right||Rehoboth||Bristol||MA|
|1744||John Winslow, not signed||joyner||Freetown||Bristol||MA|
EAIA’s 2016 Annual Meeting at Pleasant Hill Shaker Village on May 18th thru may 21st, 2016 promises to be a meeting filled with Shaker culture, architecture, crafts, and history. If you haven’t signed up yet, there’s still time to join us at this beautiful venue just a short distance from Lexington, Kentucky in the heart of Kentucky’s bluegrass, Bourbon and Daniel Boone country. The weather in May in this part of Kentucky should be pleasant with temperatures ranging between 50-74 degrees F. daily. The flowers should be in bloom, the trees leafed out and we’ll hope for sunny skies ans balmy days as we enjoy this beautiful historic site. The staff at Pleasant Hill have gone all out to help make this a great meeting for EAIA members.
They’ve assembled new exhibits in a dozen rooms of the Center Family Dwelling featuring Shaker furniture, artifacts, and vignettes of Daily Shaker life. The “Shaker Life Exhibit” in the Est Family Dwelling is also new. It describes the lives of the Pennebecker Siblings. These three orphaned children were taken in by the Shakers at Pleasant Hill and all three of them stayed as members of the Pleasant Hill community. There were some of the last inhabitants of Pleasant Hill before the community was dissolved in 1910.
The 39 restored buildings will be open for our members to view. These buildings house a wonderful collection of Shaker furniture and artifacts. We’ll get a chance to go “behind the scenes” in Pleasant Hill’s Collection Area which houses thousands of Shaker artifacts. We’ll take a narrated trip on the riverboat, The Dixie Belle, through the palisades of the Kentucky River and hear about its geologic history as well as how the Shakers used the river. Mike Urness and Sara Holmes of The Great Planes Trading Company have a wonderful antique tool auction planned for Friday night May 20th in the Meadow View Barn at Pleasant Hill. EAIA member Ross Gibson will teach us all about slate roofing with a “hands on” demonstration and presentation on Saturday afternoon, May 21st. You won’t want to miss Laurent and Betty Torno’s display of original Shaker made hand tools. Laurent and Betty have been collecting these rare tools for decades and have the largest privately held collection of these tools in the country! We guarantee that you’ll be educated, entertained, and intrigued by the EAIA 2016 Annual Meeting at Pleasant hill Shaker Village. Send in your registration form or sign up on-line today, it’s not too late. We’ll look forward to seeing you there.
Things to See and Do Near Pleasant Hill shaker Village
Pleasant Hill Shaker Village is situated near the middle of the state of Kentucky and there’s a lot to see and do just a short distance from Pleasant Hill. Here’s a short list of some of the things you may want to see and do either before or after attending the EAIA 2016 Annual Meeting.
Lexington is 30 minutes from Pleasant Hill and is the second largest city in the state It’s known as the “Horse Capital of the World”. It’s home to the Kentucky Horse Park (www.kyhorsepark.com) and the American Saddlebred Museum (www.asbmuseum.org). The Henry Clay estate, “Ashland” stands in one of Lexington’s most beautiful neighborhoods and is open to the public (www.henryclay.org).
Danville, Kentucky is just 12.7 miles from Pleasant Hill and is home to the Perryville Historic Battlefield Site (www.parks.ky.gov). This is the site of the 1862 battle of Perryville with a museum and self-guided walking tour of the battlefield. Danville is also the home of the Great American Dollhouse Museum (www.thedollhousemuseum.com) which showcases 200 dollhouses, miniature buildings and room boxes. You could also stop in and see the McDowell House & Apothecary Shop (www.mcdowellhouse.com) which is a doctor’s home and apothecary as it would have appeared from 1790 to the 1830s.
Kentucky’s capital is Frankfort which is 36 miles from Pleasant Hill. In addition to the capitol building (www.historicproperties.ky.gov) you can visit the Kentucky Military Museum (www.kistory.ky.gov) which is housed in fortress like buildings from the 1850’s that overlook downtown Frankfort. Frankfort is also the home to the Buffalo Trace Distillery (www.buffalotracedistillery.com), the oldest continually operating Bourbon distillery in America (they stayed open during Prohibition by making Bourbon for “medicinal purposes”) and is a National Historic Landmark.
Harrodsburg, Kentucky is just 7 miles from Pleasant HIll Shaker Village and is the home of Old Fort Harrod State Park (www.parks.ky.gov). It is a full-scale replica of the fort build by Daniel Harrod in 1775. Dedman’s Drugstore (www.kentuckyfudgecompany.com) is the place to get some great fudge in at an old-fashioned drug store with a soda fountain. They also serve lunch.
Berea Kentucky is 44 miles from Pleasant Hill and is the home of Berea College, Boone Tavern and the Kentucky Artisan Center (www.kentuckyartisancenter.ky.gov). This center celebrates Kentucky’s artisans through exhibits and displays of their work, events, demonstrations, and information about open studios in Berea and other Kentucky communities. The Kentucky Artisan Center in Berea is a great place to experience Kentucky and enjoy its artisan products.
So, you can see there’s a lot to do in this part of Kentucky. If you want even more information go to www.kentuckytourism.com or check with the Lexington Visitors Center at 10800-845-3959, or www.visitlex.com. The special room rate of $95/night at Pleasant Hill is good for three nights before and three nights after the EAIA meeting, so you might want to come a little early or stay for a few days and explore a bit more of this part of Kentucky.
by Paul Van Pernis
“Begin today! No matter how feeble the light,
let it shine as best it may. The world may need
just that quality of light which you have.”
— Elder Henry C. Blinn
Canterbury, New Hampshire Shaker Community
The new year has arrived and it won’t be long before you receive your registration brochure in the mail for the 2016 Early American Industries Association Annual Meeting taking place on May 18th – May 21st, 2016 at Pleasant hill Shaker Village, Kentucky. You can download the PDF brochure and printable registration form (for those registering by mail) here. Located just 23 miles west of the Lexington, Kentucky airport and in the middle of Kentucky horse and bourbon country, Pleasant Hill will be a great venue for our meeting. Pleasant Hill is the site of a Shaker community that was active from 1805 until 1910. there are 34 original 19th century buildings on 3000 acres of land. It is indeed a “pleasant hill”. The restoration of these buildings was done in 1961 under the direction of James Lowry Cogar who was the man hired by John D. Rockefeller to be the first curator of Colonial Williamsburg.The property abuts the Kentucky River and has lots to offer anyone attending the meeting. We’ll literally be taking over the village for our meeting.
We’ll learn about Shaker culture, architecture, furniture, and crafts. Here are some of the activities we’ve got lined up:
And of course we’ll have our usual tailgating and tool trading on Wednesday afternoon and Saturday morning. Our yearly ice cream social (think Shaker lemon pie!) and “Whatsits” session will be held on Thursday evening. So start organizing those “Whatsits”! The always fun Silent Auction, Banquet, and our Annual Meeting will be held on Saturday. Please think about bringing something for the Silent Auction. All of the proceeds go toward supporting EAIA’s operating expenses and the amount received for items you donate is tax-deductible. The newly formed EAIA Fiber Arts Group will be holding a meeting on Saturday morning and The Great Planes Trading Company will be hosting an antique tool auction on Friday night, May 20th in the Meadow View Barn at Pleasant Hill. So, you won’t lack for things to see and do!
EAIA Member Displays
During your stay at Pleasant Hill Shaker Village you’ll be surrounded by the architecture, furniture, and objects that the Shakers used every day. Shakers saw their work as an integral part of their spiritual life. They are renowned for their industry and commitment to excellence in all that they did. Shakers embraced new technology and were engaged in a brisk trade with the outside world. So, the theme for our displays this year will Be, “The Shaker Work Day – Tools that the Shakers Might Have Used on the Farm, in Their Homes and in Their Shops. This broad theme for displays will allow you to get creative and put together a display to share with your fellow EAIA members.
In addition to all the tools the Shakers might have used, don’t forget about all those activities and crafts that Shaker women performed from butter making to lace making, hooking rugs, gardening, weaving, spinning, herb preparation and preserving food. The Saturday morning displays are always one of the highlights of our Annual Meeting so we hope you’ll bring a display to Pleasant Hill.
We’ll be staying in the restored 19th century buildings at Pleasant Hill. Don’t worry, they all have modern conveniences. But you’ll have to do some walking in the village and there are stairs. None of the buildings have elevators. There are accommodations for 146 people at Pleasant Hill so get your registration and room reservations made right away. 13 of the rooms are on the first floor so you won’t have to do stairs other than a step up into the building, but you will need to climb stairs in many of the buildings. There are 7 pet friendly rooms as well. Pleasant Hill staff will be accepting reservations starting February 15th, 2016. You can make your reservation by calling Ann Voris the Group Services Manager at 859-734-1548. If she is not there, please leave a message and she will call you back. Room rates are $95/night and are good for three days before and three days after our meeting.
If you are concerned about having to climb stairs or if all the rooms at Pleasant Hill have been filled, motel rooms can be found at the following motels in Harrodsburg, Kentucky which is 7.3 miles away:
Days Inn – 1680 Danville Road Harrodsburg, KY, 40330, (859)-734-9431, Room rates ≅ $70/night
Baymont Inn – 105 Commercial Drive, Harrodsburg, KY, 40330, (859)-734-2400, Room rates ≅ $65-$80/night
Beaumont Inn(Historic B&B) – 638 Beaumont Drive, Harrodsburg, KY, 40330 (859)-734-3381. Room rates ≅ $113-$180/night
May temperatures at Pleasant Hill average between 50-70 degrees. It will be Spring and the trees and flowers will be in bloom. So come and enjoy a great EAIA Annual Meeting from May 18th thru May 21st at Pleasant Hill Shaker Village May 18th thru May 21st, 2016!
— Rodney & Denise Richer and Paul & Eileen Van Pernis – 2016 Annual Meeting co-hosts.
18th Century Records of House Wrights, Jointers and Carpenters
Essex County Massachusetts, Part II
This is the second part of Essex County documents and deeds relating to Early American woodworking trades and craftsmen. This installment was supposed to cover documents dating from 1770 through the end of the century, but a few earlier examples found their way into the group.
Most of these documents, as with the two previous articles, are deeds which record the sale of land. They are important because the craftsmen’s trade is given thus providing a link to a given person at a given time and place. But, two of the documents are different. They are bills or agreements which deal with the actual trades themselves. One, a 1790 document involving Benjamin Poor, joiner, outlines his agreement to repair a old barn. Both his responsibilities and those of the barn owner are delineated. The second piece, a 1763 bill from Henry Noyes, records his making windar frames and squears of sash. These two documents are quite rare. They provide great details into the day to day transactions of a “typical” craftsman.
Original spellings are retained if possible.
If the spelling or interpretation of a name is questioned, that entry is so noted by the use of ( … )’s.
|1677||Thomas Fflint, not signed||houss carpenter||Salem||Essex||MA|
|1735||John Browne, signed||turner||Ipswich||Essex||MA|
|1738||John Dennis, signed||joyner||Ipswich||Essex||MA|
|1763||Henry Noyes, signed||(jointer)||Newbury||Essex||MA|
|1771||Benjamin Davis, not signed||joyner||Newburyport||Essex||MA|
|1783||Elijah Cummings, not signed||joiner||Topsfield||Essex||MA|
|1790||Benjamin Poor, not signed||joiner||Rowley||Essex||MA|
|1791||Enoch Sandbourne, not signed||cabinet maker||Newbury Port||Essex||MA|
|1796||Nehemiah Adams, not signed||cabinet maker||Salem||Essex||MA|
|1797||Nehemiah Adams, not signed||cabinet maker||Salem||Essex||MA|
|1798||Samuel Brown, not signed and||houseright||Newbury||Essex||MA|
|1798||Richard Hood, signed||houseright||Wenham||Essex||MA|
1677 Thomas Fflint, Salem, houss carpenter.Deed for 28 ½ acres of land in Salem, Essex County, sold by Lott Killum, husbandman, and his wife Hanna. Signed by John Black, Lot Killum, Hanna Killum, her mark, Hillian Veren. Also mentioned: Elizabeth Smith, Isaac Goodell. Several names are too questionable to include in the listing.
1735 John Browne, Ipswich, Turner. John and his wife Mary sold a certain Whol: Narragansett Right situate in Township Number One to Daniel Hale. The land was inherited from John’s honored uncle, Benjamin Newman, a soldier at Naragansett. Signed by John and Mary, her mark, with seals. Also signed by Thomas Berry, Samuel Waite, Jer. Moulton.
1738 John Dennis, Ipswich, joyner. John sold land in Ipswich to Silvanus Lakeman of Ipswich. Signed and sealed deed. Document signed by Francis Dennis, Samuel Goodridge, John Dennis, Sarah Dennis and Jonathan Wade. Also mentioned: Samuel Wenwright, Jacob Coldwell, John Newmarck.
1763 Henry Noyes, Newbury, bill to Moses Stickney. Itemized bill for a total of six windar frames, 48 plus 16 squears sashes and a total of four days work at four shillings per day.
1771 Benjamin Davis, Newburyport, joyner. Samuel Davis, brass founder of Exeter, NH, sold 12 acres in Newbury to Benjamin Davis. The land had been owned by Samuel’s uncle Samuel Davis, weaver, in Newbury, deceased. The document is signed by Samuel Davis, Lemuel (Davis), Daniel Farnham. Also mentioned: Col. Jonathan Bagly, widow Mary Moulton and Benjamin Davis.
1783 Elijah Cummings, Topsfield, joiner. Jonathan Cummings, Topsfield, cordwainer, sold two and one half acres of woodland to Elijah Cummings. Signed, sealed and delivered … ”in the seventh year of the Independence of the United States of America”. Signed by Joseph Cummings, jr., (Pelatiah) Cummings, Jonathan Cummings. Also mentioned: Jonathan Dodge of Beverly, Jonathan Dodge of Ipswich, George Dodge, Jonathan Cummings.
1790 Benjamin Poor, Rowley, joiner. Benjamin Poor’s agreement with Stephen Longfellow of Rowley, yeoman. Benjamin to provide the labor to sill Stephen’s old barn which was his father’s, to hu (hew) timber for a ten foot end to said barn and to frame it. Longfellow is to raise it, board it and shingle it. Longfellow is to find the timber, the boards, the shingles and the nails. Signed and sealed in … 1790 … the “Fourteenth year of American independence”. The document is sealed but not signed.
1791 Enoch Sandbourne, Newbury Port, cabinet maker. Enoch purchased land containing 24 rods in Newbury Port from John Goodwin, mariner. Signed by Theop Parsons JP, John Bunill, John Goodwin and Sarah Goodwin, her mark. Signed on reverse by John Pickering, Reg. Also mentioned: Joseph Somersby, cordwainer, Abigail Somerby, Thomas Frothingham.
1796 Nehemiah Adams, Salem, cabinet maker. Nehemiah purchased land in Salem containing 46 ½ poles from Henry Williams of Salem, mariner. Signed by Thomas Barnes, Benjamin Adams, Henry Williams, Abigail Williams and Richard Manning, JP. Signed on reverse by John Pickering, Reg. Also mentioned: Jon Harranden, B Putnam, Joshua Dodge, Harranden Rope Walk. Price was $511 ½ dollars ….no longer in pounds.
1797 Nehemiah Adams, Salem, cabinet maker. Nehemiah purchased land in Salem containing one and 1/14th pole from Henry Williams of Salem, mariner. Signed by Enoch Knight, Thomas Lamson, Henry Williams, Abigail Williams and Richard Manning, JP. Signed on reverse by John Pickering, Reg. Also mentioned: Simon Forrester, James Dalrymple.
1798 Samuel Brown, Newbury, County of Essex, housright and Richard Hood, Wenham, County of Essex, housewright. Heirs of Lydia Goodridge sell three acres of meadowland in Beverly to Jonathan Moulton of Wenham, yeoman. Multiple pages, multiple heirs with multiple signature and seals. The document is signed by Richard Hood but not signed by Samuel Brown.
Heirs in Wenham: Caleb Kimball, yeoman and wife Huldah. Richard Hood, housright and wife Lydia. Eunice Porter, spinster. Rebecca Mouton, weaver.
Heirs in Danvers: Israel Hutchenson, esq. Samuel Fairfield, gentleman and wife Anna. Andrew Fuller, trader and wife Elizabeth.
Heirs in Beverly: Mehetable Babson, weaver. William Feilder, cooper and wife Mary. George Raymond 2nd., mariner. Thomas Raymond, bricklayer. Samuel Goodridge, gentleman.
Heirs in Stirling: John Brown, tailer and wife Ginger.
Heirs in Newbury: Samuel Brown, housright.
Heirs in Boston: Anna Connant, trader.
Heirs in Cox Hall: Samuel Raymond and wife Susanna.
Witnessed and signed by David Fornis, Joseph Wood, James Kimball, Nath’l Webb, Amos Putnam.
Signed and sealed by Samuel Goudridge, Mehetable Babson, Caleb Kimball, Huldah Kimball, Eunice Porter her mark, Rebeca Moulton, Richard Hood, Lydiah Hood, Sam’l Fairfield, Anna Fairfield, Andrew Fuller and Betsy Fuller.
Also mentioned: William Batchelder, Mehitable Babson, Bartholomew Trask, Israel Thorndike.
SOCIETY FOR INDUSTRIAL ARCHEOLOGY
Call for Paper Abstracts and Session Proposals
45th Annual Conference
Kansas City, Missouri, June 2-5, 2016
The Society for Industrial Archeology invites proposals for presentations and poster displays at the 45th Annual Conference on Saturday, June 4, 2016, in Kansas City, Missouri. This year’s conference will also incorporate the 25th Historic Bridge Symposium. The conference hotel will be the Westin Crown Center and presentation sessions will be held at the hotel.
Presentations on all topics related to industrial archeology, technology, social change related to industry, and historic industrial structures and bridges are welcome. Papers about regional industries and transportation in the Missouri River valley and the Prairies are particularly encouraged. Poster displays can be on works in progress. All presentations and poster displays should offer interpretation and synthesis of data.
Presentation Formats: Proposals may be for individual presentations 20 minutes in length, a group of three or four presentations on a common theme filling a 90-minute session, or a 90-minute panel discussion (formal moderator optional, but encouraged). SIA will provide computers, data projectors, screens, microphones, and speakers as needed in each presentation room. Posters will be on display all day Saturday with a dedicated time for poster presenters to be present at their poster for discussion.
Proposal Formats: Proposals should be submitted online at http://www.sia-web.org/sia-45th-annual-conference/ unless special arrangements have been made. Each proposal must include:
Please be aware that facilities for presenting media formats other than Microsoft PowerPoint (.ppt/.pptx), OpenOffice Open Document Format Presentation (.odp), and Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) may not be available. In particular, please note on the form whether access to the Internet is crucial for your presentation (e.g., media embedded vs. linked to the Web).
For 90-minute themed sessions or panel discussions, the organizer should submit a title and a brief description of the theme, along with all above information together as a group as prompted on the online submission form. If any of these items is missing, the proposal cannot be considered. Note that the above word counts apply separately to each presenter in a group.
Presenters are encouraged to transform their presentations into articles for IA: The Journal of the Society for Industrial Archeology; No conference proceedings are published. We are considering audio podcasting the sessions, but and if we do stream the sessions, prior written consent must be obtained from each presenter.
The deadline for proposals is February 15, 2016
To submit your proposal and for further information, go to the online form located at
For questions please contact
Please spread the word to others who may be interested in this conference. The above content can be found and shared via the PDF document here: 2016 SIA CFP
18th Century Records of House Wrights, Jointers and Carpenters
Essex County, Massachusetts
The first article on 18th century documents involving named craftsmen with named professions covered examples from Middlesex County, Massachusetts. Essex County Massachusetts will be the next geographical area to consider. Due to the number of documents from Essex County, this first part will cover pieces dating before the 1770s and a second part will cover documents from the 1770s through the 1790s.
Please note that towns are listed under the county they were in at the time the document was written. Spelling, to the extent it can be discerned, will follow that which is used in each document. If there is a question regarding the transcribed word or name, it will be denoted by the use of “( )”marks. If multiple spelling variants are used within a document, the most prominent form will be referenced.
|1733||John Webster, Jr.||joyner||Newbury||Essex||MA|
|1734||Samuel Poor, signed, and John Spaford, not signed||house rites||Rowley||Essex||MA|
|1736||Samuel Poor (HR), not signed||house rite||Rowley||Essex||MA|
|1737||Nathaniel Bragg, not signed||house wright||Wenham||Essex||MA|
|1756||Stephen Barnard, doc, not signed||house wright||Haverhill||Essex||MA|
|1765||Jacob Davis, signed, Benjamin Davis, not signed||joyners||Newbury Port||Essex||MA|
|1769||Joseph Flint||house wright||Salem||Essex||MA|
1733 John Webster, Jr., Newbury, county of Essex, Joyner, sells land in Newbury to Nathaniel Knape, Caulker. Signed by John Webster, Elizabeth Webster [her mark], Leonard Cotton, John Brown and Richard Kent. Also mentioned: Amos (Clearton), Capt. John Greenleaf. Folded sheet with each leaf 12 3/4″ by 8 1/8″.
1734 Samuel Poor of Rowley, hous Rit, quit clame to John Spaford of Rowley, hous Rite. Signed by Samuel Poor and Mary Morson [her mark]. 5″ long by 5 1/2″ wide.
1736 Benjamin Poor of Rowley and Samuel Poor of Rowley House Rite. Contract for the building of a stone wall for 100 pounds, current money. Signed by Benjamin Poor, Moses Hale and Joseph Smith. 9 3/4″ by 7 1/2″.
1737 Nathaniel Bragg of Wenham, Housewright, sells land on the Piscataquog River to Robert Hale of Beverly. Signed by Robert Hale, Andrew Balch and John Thorndike. Also mentioned: Tobias Trow and John Craige. 11 1/2″ by 7 1/2″.
1756 Judgement against Stephen Barnard of Haverhill, Housewright, in a case brought by James McHard of Haverhill, Merchant. Signed by Joseph Bowditch, clerk and John Choates. Signed on the reverse by Joseph Badger Jr. Embossed official seals including that of a pine tree for three pence. 12 3/8″ by 7 1/2″.
1765 Jacob Davis of Newbury Port, Joyner, sells to his brother Benjamin Davis, Joyner, his portion of their family’s estate. Signed by Jacob Davis, Abiel Somerly Jr., Thomas Bayley and Daniel Farnham. Also mentioned: Benjamin Davis, Ruth Davis, Samuel Davis …. and our Sovereign Lord George the Third. 12 5/8″ by 7 5/8″.
1767 John Kezar of Haverhill, Joyner sells land in Hew Hampshire to Joseph ffitts of Salisbury, Blacksmith. Signed by John Kezar, Philip Hasseltine and (Elijah) Hardy. Signed on the reverse by Joseph Pierce and Samuel White. 13 1/8″ by 8 3/8″.
1769 Joseph Flint of Salem, House Wright sells land to Samuel King of Danvers, Yeoman. Signed by Joseph Flint, Jona[than] Frothingham and Daniel Epes. Signed on the reverse by John Higginson. Also mentioned: Sarah Flint and Samuel Orne. 13 1/8″ by 8 1/4″.